Amex Online Poker Sites
American Express, or Amex for short, is one of the larger credit card providers in the United States, although it has lived in the shadow of the likes of MasterCard and Visa over the years. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as, while most if not all USA legal poker sites have blocked MasterCard deposits, the same does not always go for the question of whether you will find Amex accepting US poker players.
There are two ways of paying for goods using Amex, and both are applicable not only for an Amex online poker site that accepts US players but also just for standard everyday Amex purchases. You can use a regular Amex credit or debit card, while it may also be possible in your state to obtain a prepaid Amex. A prepaid card is used in much the same way, however the limit you spend is set when you buy the card (many of them have a selection of pre-set limits) rather than your personal bank balance or credit limit.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Amex Online Poker Deposits
- Familiarity. Many Americans already have an American Express credit card, and if you are one of them then you will not need to fill in any new forms with new companies, as might be the case with other USA-friendly online poker payment methods.
- Longevity. Amex was founded in 1850 as an express mail business, and has been in existence ever since. The first Amex charge card was issued in the 1950s, and the company is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Generally speaking it’s easier to trust a company with such a well-established reputation.
- Security. American Express is a large and well-respected company with one of the best security and anti-fraud teams around, so when using a US Amex online poker site you shouldn’t have to worry about the safety and security of your deposit.
- However one issue is there are not a lot of American Express online poker sites accepting US players, meaning you have less of a choice when deciding which online poker site to deposit with. It is worth exploring other deposit methods if you want to have online poker accounts with several legal online poker sites serving the States.
- In addition to this, Amex credit cards have traditionally been geared more towards high spenders, so this might not be the best option for you if you are planning on getting a card for the purposes of making the minimum deposit with an online poker site. However a prepaid Amex card could still be good for this.
How Fast are Amex deposits?
When you find a poker site with Amex accepting US players you should generally find that deposits hit your poker account instantly. However, while you can start playing real money cash games and tournaments right away, the payment may take a few days to process. This means if you make an Amex deposit, play a tournament and win a real cash prize, you might need to wait a few days before you can withdraw those winnings.
Can you Withdraw with Amex?
Unfortunately we have not found a United States poker site that allows players to withdraw direct to an Amex account, as of yet. However, any good Amex online poker website that accepts US players will have a helpful support team who will be able to advise you on the best available withdrawal methods such as paper check withdrawal or Western Union.
We Found the Best AMEX Online Poker Sites
Thanks to our team of reviewers with years of USA online poker experience, we’ve found the best US Amex online poker rooms in the States. Our recommendations are based on everything an American poker player wishing to deposit using Amex should need from a great real money online poker site.